If I sue out of state, can I sue for travel expenses?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike932

I might sue a corporation in Maryland in small claims court. I live in California. Can I also sue for the cost of flight and hotel to Maryland?

Also, I am suing because I got a minor injury in a hotel room. It is a name brand hotel chain. Do I sue the actual hotel in Florida? Or do I sue the hotel corporate headquarters in Maryland?

Last edited:
No... if it is a national chain and does business in California, then a representative from California would have to come to court.
I am not 100% certain of that... it is something to look in to.

You know, I'm so sorry I didn't read the whole thing. I stand by my answer that you can not sue for travel expenses; however, you don't have to travel either.

Look up the registered agent in Florida, not in Maryland. Send them a letter demanding the amount of money you think you are due. You will be contacted by an attorney and they will negotiate it out with you. Good luck.

You can not sue them in your home state if the injury happened in Florida.

Look up the registered agent in Florida, not in Maryland. Send them a letter demanding the amount of money you think you are due. You will be contacted by an attorney and they will negotiate it out with you.

Might they will ignore my lawsuit if they assume that I actually won't bother to come to Florida? (I am willing to travel by the way)

They will not ignore your lawsuit. They will likely call you and settle with you.

They will not ignore your lawsuit. They will likely call you and settle with you.

If they are willing to pay me, why don't they just ignore my lawsuit so I win by default? That would make things simple for them and tougher for me because I would have to try to collect.

No lawyer is going to let his client have a default judgment. Just trust me, they aren't going to play games with you, they are a corporation that has much better things to do than to avoid a little collection by you. They would rather deal with it and go on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back