can a birth mother move out of state prior to final mod of existing shared custody?

Status
Not open for further replies.

telljody

I am trying to put together a letter to the courts stating that even though my wife is moving out of state prior to the final modification of the initial custody agreement from the time of the divorce involving our two oldest (my step-kids), she is not relinquishing any of the parental rights established in the initial divorce from her ex-.

Our story:

I had to move from Wisconsin to Washington State for a job. My wife has shared joint custody (with primary placement) of our two older kids with their father. Week on, week off. When the kids are with him, he's an "absentee father", going off with the fiance to do activities and leaving the kids home.

My wife and three younger kids will be moving out to WA with us in Dec, and the older kids want to move after they finish the school year. They would stay with their father during that time. We're hoping to get the finalization of the custody before then, but if he fights things - it could turn into a lengthy process.

Father initially stated that he understood and appreciated the relationship the two older kids have with the three younger ones and said that the two older ones could come with us - returning for holidays, school breaks, time in summer, etc.

Now that I have moved, their father thinks it's "fair that we each take one". Yeah, fair to him or to the kids? Regardless, we are now at odds with the availability of the kids to move with us.

We are going thru the custody counseling and the guardian has our case. My wife and I would prefer to come to an agreement with the kids' father, but think he's going to dig his heels in.

What are your thoughts on the letter to the courts? Any other advise?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back