Wedding decorations taken- no contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

stressedbride

When I was planning my wedding, my husband's aunt volunteered to help me with wedding decorations. I was busy and gratefully accepted. She asked me to bring everything I had over to her house and she would work on it with her friend. I was in college at the time, so they went through my stuff while I was at school or working. When I went to check in on them and see what I could help with, they had purchased a whole lot more decorations without my consent. They had a copy of all the receipts and told me how much I owed them. I paid the $175, but was a little upset they never told me they were going to buy more decorations. I got my hours cut at work and called his aunt to tell her to stop buying things because I couldn't afford to keep paying her for random decorations she purchased. She said the rest she bought she would keep after the wedding. I told her I was uncomfortable with this, because wedding centerpieces have been known to disappear from tables at every wedding I have attended. I told her I didn't want to be responsible for things that people took of hers. She told me people wouldn't take any of the decorations; people don't do that. I just let it go. Well during the wedding, 25 wedding centerpieces were taken. She sent me a bill for all of the things that went missing, and is refusing to give me back any of the things that I had already paid for until she gets all of her things back or the money to replace them. We never signed any contracts or anything stating I was responsible for repaying her for anything missing. She has threatened to take me to court for $230 worth of decorations that I have no clue where they went! Is there anything that I can be sued for here?

I won't call your Aunt what I'm thinking but she's way over the top and WRONG. You are not responsible for stolen items at the wedding, nor can she hold items that you paid for because she is missing items she paid for. Let her sue you. Counter sue for what she has, she will lose. God she's a b*tch. Wait I think I said I wouldn't say that. Oh well.

Hopefully, since it is family, your husband might be able to smooth things over and stay out of court. If the aunt won't give up your items voluntarily then she will ultimately be ordered to do so by the court. If she sues you then you can counter, and if she never follows through with her suit, you can file your own to get your items back.

my husband has tried to talk to her to smooth things out and to keep himself neutral, but she just attacks him (verbally). she has him so upset. hopefully all will be straightened out soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back