Is it my domain name to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mitchel

There is no contract or verbal agreement; I am just a homeowner that thought it would be cool to have a site for the community so I built it. Once it was built they offered to reimburse me for the cost that I incurred for registering the domain name and hosting.

I should mention that the domain name has the name of the Association in it, example: evergreehoa.com. I am the one that gets billed and I am the only person listed on the WHO IS database. I am also the web designer who maintains it. For my time and help they agreed to reimburse me for the domain name registration and hosting. They are no longer using the site or domain name and asked me to shut it down because they are now using the site the Property Management Company provides.

Now to the heart of the matter...the Board of Directors is about to make a very bad ruling regarding some homeowners and is going to possibly stir up a hornets' nest of problems. As a past Board Member and current member of the Architectural Review Committee I strongly suggested this is a very bad move.

If they go forward with their decision I will be resigning from the Architectural Review committee and I will want to post the things they are doing so everyone in the Association knows. If I give them back the money they gave me for the domain name can I use it to build my own site to make everything public? I would NOT mention specific names. I would also not be using the hosting they paid for and just move the domain to my hosting plan that I pay for.

Yes...regretfully I am rather upset but what they are doing behind homeowner's backs is just wrong and the people need to know. I moved into a Covenant Controlled neighborhood for a reason and I do not want my property values to be messed with.

Thanks!
Mitch

My thought - no. At this time, if they reimbursed you then, technically, the domain and web site is owned by the HOA. You can't give them their money back and get the domain back unless your offer to do so is accepted by the HOA. My guess as well as yours is that they will nto accept your offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back