Landlord Sold Property

Status
Not open for further replies.

tormoni

I live in Brevard County Florida, and my landlord sold the rooming house and the apartment building he owns. It is all on one property. I live in the apartment building. I pay rent weekly, 150 a week. He told me verbally about three weeks ago that he sold the property and that we had about 6 weeks to look for a new place to live because that's when he'd be closing the sale. I asked the land lord if it was possible, since I've lived here for 7 years and always been good on rent, if he could let me slide on these last few rent payments to allow my girlfriend and I to save money to move. He said that it wasn't really his call (because his family co-owns the property) but he'd see what he could do. I never saw my landlord again, he never came by again to collect rent, so I figured he was going to let us save our money.
I came home today to find a note on my door saying that this was my FOURTH notice about non payment of rent. It stated that I was informed that the property had sold and I had 30 DAYS to move out. It also says in the letter that the electricity and water, which is included in my rent payments, was being shut off on Oct 30th. The letter also stated that they were going to take me to small claims court to recover the unpaid rent.

I was told only three weeks ago that the property sold, and that I had 6 weeks to find a new place. Now, it appears that we only have 5 days left to move, and not three more weeks. I don't know what to do because we still don't really have that much money saved up to pay for first, last, and security for a new place.

What are my options? Can they really kick me out in 5 days? Can they really shut off our electric and water with us still living here? I've been told that I can stay here until they go through the process of eviction and that might buy us a week or two more to save up and find a place. But I don't wanna have to say here without water and electric.

If anyone has any advice, I would really REALLY appreciate it. My email address is tormoni2003 at yahoo.com

Thanks in advance..
Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back