Corporate Law Shareholder of S Corp in California

Status
Not open for further replies.

RickyRicardo

I am a Shareholder of an S Corp in California. There is one other Shareholder and we each own 50% of the stock of Corporation. We are both Directors of the Corporation. The other Shareholder is the President and I am the Secretary/Treasurer. I do 95% of the work for the Corporation and have done so since the start of the company 2 1/2 years ago. Both Shareholders receive an equal salary despite the percentage of work done. We also have two full-time employees. We also have a Buy/Sell Agreement between the two of us that covers what happens if either us die or leave the Corporation for various reasons. My questions: Can either Shareholder fire the other Shareholder? If one Shareholder is no longer interested in continuing in the Corporation how much notice should be provided to the Corporation and remaining Shareholders? (This issue is not covered in our Buy/Sell Agreement) If one Shareholder can fire the other, would the Shareholder still be entitled to their salary as 50% owner?

This is the problem with business relationships. You can not fire the shareholder, but depending on the power granted by the board of shareholders the CEO can fire who they want. Most likely you just have to stop working for the corporation. You are in a sticky situation. Address your problems with the others and tell them if some equitable arrangement is not made you intend to leave and start your own corporation. You will find out right there how much they think you do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back