Car dealer wants more money or no title

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhoGotIt

When I bought my van, we asked if it mattered that the trade in was in my name and we wanted to put the new car in my name. We were told it did not matter. 32 days after I bought and financed a car, the dealership calls me and tells me I owe them $360 cash for additional taxes and tags because the trade in was in my name and the new car was in her name so we have to pay sales tax on the trade in plus get new tags. First this is their mistake but it gets better... The Manager tells me, "I already gave you too good of a deal and I am not swallowing the loss." and "I know we messed up, otherwise we wouldn't be having this conversation." and "I am sure your tags will be expiring soon. What will you do then?" and the topper, "If you want to argue, I will put you on hold and you can argue with nobody".
Anyway, here we are 59 days after the sale, my tags are illegal because they have never sent the paperwork into the MVA or paid the $800 in taxes and tags that they collected. When I talked to them today they were extremely hostile and the supervisor wouldn't even allow me to talk and he hung up on me.
So after some research, it turns out, that it doesn't matter what name the cars were in, there is no tax on the trade in amount and my tags will transfer. So basically, they are trying to get $360 dollars more from me, claiming it's for taxes when in deed, it is not and they are holding my title and tags hostage until they get my money.
Anyone know what would be my best course of action? My car is illegally tagged because they put the tags from the trade in on the new car and never notified the MVA.

P.S. This is my second car from this dealer in 13 months.

File a complaint with their dealer's license. Further I would send them a letter telling them you are going to notify the state tax commissioner. If none of that works, file a small claims court suit.

Thanks for the reply. When you said to file a complaint with their dealer's license, did you mean to call Kia?

I would call Kia first if they are a kia dealership. But call your state and ask who licenses New car dealers. There is a government agency most likely. If you have to, take them to small claims. You will win.

Thanks, I wonder if that's the MVA that licenses them. If so, I have contacted them and they called the dealer. The dealer was less than truthful and we got no where. I just picked up a formal complaint form from the MVA and I have to turn it in tomorrow. I guess that will take several weeks. If the MVA (or other licensing party) doesn't fine them, I wonder if I can press charges.
I was told buy another car lot that they are not allowed to hold up the paperwork even if I do owe money. If they think I owe them more than the contract, then they need to uphold their end and take me to small claims court after.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back