Defamation of Character

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latino

On Oct, 6 I stopped by Santa Monica Police Department for no seat belt, then the I was arrested for driving without a licsence, warrant failure to appear, and a gram of pot. While the officer was talking to me he made obscene remarks about my teaching profession and smoking pot and went as far as calling me a child molester. He then stated I shouldn't be working with students. While I was in jail he called the superintendent of the santa monica malibu school district. Later that night my daughters mother posted bail of 1500. I showed up to work the next day and was told I was on suspension. I spoke to the superintendent and told me he was letting me go because of the phone call he received about my arrest. On oct 15 the same officer went to Tip Top vehicle inpound and retrived a coaching pass for the pacific coast confrence and made contact with the league and had me suspended. This officer personal feelings towards me has led him to abuse the law and has harmed my earning potential, has made character remarks that has hurt me and my family, has pulled me away from coaching my son Anthony's football team and has hurt how my colleagues view me. As far as my prior traffic violation, I have paid them off, gotten my medical marijuana licsence, and obtaining my driver licsence, and insurance. My traffic court date is nov,9 2009

On Oct, 6 I stopped by Santa Monica Police Department for no seat belt, then the I was arrested for driving without a licsence, warrant failure to appear, and a gram of pot.
You were arrested on the warrant. The other offenses you listed are citable offenses and do not normally justify an arrest by statute.

While the officer was talking to me he made obscene remarks about my teaching profession and smoking pot and went as far as calling me a child molester.
If he made such rude statements, they were unprofessional and out of line and you should make a complaint to the officer's agency.

He then stated I shouldn't be working with students.
He has a right to that opinion. Many might agree with him.

While I was in jail he called the superintendent of the santa monica malibu school district.
Possibly worth a personnel complaint, but not unlawful as your arrest is a matter of public record.

On oct 15 the same officer went to Tip Top vehicle inpound and retrived a coaching pass for the pacific coast confrence and made contact with the league and had me suspended.
Again, another personnel complaint. And, the impound yard was under no obligation to allow the officer back in the car ... but, apparently they did.

But, again, not unlawful. Though the totality of the actions MIGHT give rise to some sort of civil action. Maybe. Though, since the information is not protected, that might be a stretch.

As far as my prior traffic violation, I have paid them off, gotten my medical marijuana licsence, and obtaining my driver licsence, and insurance. My traffic court date is nov,9 2009
I'll wager you have a doctor's recommendation but NOT the state DHS card. Get the DHS card if you want to be truly free from police problems in the future with regard to marijuana.

You might consider appealing your suspension with the school district now that you have the doctor's recommendation (better with the DHS card), and might consider appealing your suspension with youth football as well.

You can consider consulting an attorney, but I suspect a civil suit is weak. A personnel complaint is strongest with regards to any rude or unprofessional language used at the time of the stop, but they might also be interested in his ongoing interest in you.

Note that it is NOT defamation to be relating things that are truthful and a matter of public record. Arrests and citations are not privileged unless you are a minor or fall into one of a very limited number of exceptions ... none of which is present here.

- Carl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back