Getting Promoted, Then fired. Huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

milkman

I worked for an international Auto Center for over four years, and was in the process of getting promoted. I passed all the interviews and management test required and was offered the job by my manager. I took it of course. Now all that was required was a background check, which we knew had a 5th degree misdemeanor charge on it from over 3 years ago. Over 3 years ago when it happened, I let Sears know about it, and they assured me that it's okay since it was not a felony, and they knew of what really happened in the case. HR was informed, as well as all the proper managers. I was able to return to work, and assured my job was safe. Over the next three plus years, I excelled at work and was told to go for the assistant manager position. After I got the job promised to me, we waited for the formality of the background check to come back. I continued to do assistant manager duties such as closing down the shop, dealing with customers and so on. During this time I was only getting paid my old rate of $5.50 plus commission on the labor I preformed as a mechanic, which I had to cut back on to preform management duties. Of course this was cool with me since I was promised the job. The Corporate HR guy, who never met me, decided that since I had that on my record, that I would not get the promotion promised to me. On top of that, I no longer have a job there. When The local HR girl and my manager called me in to tell me this, they knew this wasn't right since they told me I was their best employee. The HR girl cried, and my manager got choked up. Other managers tried to overturn this decision, and my old probation officer even insisted to talk to the corporate HR guy. He wouldn't talk to any of them. All my employees, management, and The HR girl suggest I try to take legal action to see if this was legal what they fired me for. I can see them not promoting me being legal, but getting fired now for something they knew about for over three years? Please get back to me soon. Thanks for your time.

Unless you were working under some sort of contract they can terminate you at any time for any reason expect for discrimination. You might contact a lawyer since the criminal record was already known, but don't count on getting very far.

I would write a letter to the HR Director and attach letters of recommendation from your supervisors and co-workers. This isn't something you can force your way through, you are going to have to get someone on your side. Approach it that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back