Buying home moving out of rental

Status
Not open for further replies.

twinbabies2000

Hello, I'm hoping someone has answers for this. Our lease was up at the end of September and we informed our landlord that we were buying a house and would not be renewing our lease. We informed her that we did not know when the house would close as of yet because it was a land/home package, but would keep her informed. We did tell her we thought it would be end of October, but could go into November. She stated that this was fine, but she was concerned about not being able to rent the place due to winter. We sent her the October rent and then emailed her and asked her she wanted to keep the October rent or use our "last month rent" that we had given her at the beginning of the lease. I asked her if she wanted to keep the rent and use the last month rent in November, if needed, and credit us back anything that was due or if she wanted to give us the October rent back and use our last month rent and then we would pay for whatever days we stayed in November. She said that she would give us the October rent back, which she did, and charge us 33.38 per day that we were in the house in November. We were fine with this. All of a sudden as soon as she found someone to rent the house, she told them that the house would be available November 15, 2009... we had not given her notice, but she says since she gave us back our October check and used our last month rent that it was considered 30 days notice, but she was giving us till the 15th to move out.
Exactly where do we stand at this point in time. We think we might close by the 15th, but really it could go to the 18th or 20th...
Any information or help is appreciated.
Thank you
Wendy

Where you stand at this point is that you have to be out by November 15th.

I understand that you might not yet know what your closing date will be but your landlord is, of course, attempting to rerent the house during a time of the year where it has traditionally been difficult to find tenants.

I would have to disagree with your statement that you did not give her your notice; you have informed her that you will be moving out; just not sure when.

At this point you guys have what is known as a "month to month" tenancy. To terminate such tenancies in the state of Washington involves a notice of just 20 days before the end of the rental period.

Gail

I should add that we have nothing in writing (email only) that is signed from her stating for us that she wants us to move out. I am under the impression that if she wants to have us out that it must be in writing and signed... email does not apply... is this correct or am I misunderstanding what the law is stating?

When these laws were initially written, the internet did not exist. Many courts certainly do accept emails as documentation of written notice.

Honestly; it really does sound as if your landlord has tried to work around your schedule in terms of you buying this house. Now you're looking to control the situation by attempting to find any technicality you can?

Gail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back