Closed bank account. Received overdraft letter after bank reopens it to pay $1 fee.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimbalaya007

My wife and I were moving so I closed my checking and savings account with my bank. The bank issued me a check for the remaining balance in the account and my business relationship with them was done. Or so I thought. 7 weeks later I receive a letter of overdrawn account and $39 overdraft fee. Apparently, I forgot to change one account over to my new bank. So the bank pays the $1.05 charge and reopens my account, then charges me the fee. The multiple supervisors I spoke with on the phone said it's my fault for not changing over my accounts to my new bank. Their policy is to pay any charges that come into them within 60 days of my account being closed. Now how is that legal? In their explanation, I agreed to this when I signed the card to open my account with them. I think it's a scam and am thoroughly disgusted with these shady practices of corporate banking world. If I don't pay this within 7 business days (which is 2 days from when I received the letter), then I will incur more fees. Are there any laws protecting consumers from this type of fraud?

This depends on how determined you are. Look up their registered agent in the state. Go to the Secretary of State's web site. Send their registered agent a notice of suit with a very short explanation of what has happened. Tell them they have 10 days to reverse themselves or you will sue them in small claims court. Registered agent letters go to the legal department not the supervisors. They understand if they are sued in SCC they will lose more in legal fees than they gain even if they win. They will cave in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back