My writing has been lifted to a for-profit site without my permission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

a852

An Llc run website has lifted a comment I made and reposted it in a for-profit section of its site.

The comment was made at a separate, unrelated site. I explicitly stated that the comment was not to be used by the Llc run site, and that the authors of the site did not have permission to use my comment. The comment was originally posted unattributed, but after I asked for my words to be removed, my name was added to the comment. I did not give my name, nor did I ask for it to be attributed to me. I asked only that the comment be removed from the website completely.

The comment was copied and pasted exactly, except for the final line. The final line stated that the website did not have my permission to repost the comment.

This is not an isolated incident. The Llc has been doing this to many people over the past 2 weeks. They ignore any statement disallowing use, and refuse to remove the offending post. Do I have any legal recourse, especially in light of the fact that they are making money off of my words?

I should note that while the Llc is located in Utah, I am in Texas.

Thank you.

The owner of the website has added this message to the end of my comment.

"(Copyright 2009 [me] via [owner of site where message was originally published], an unauthorized reproduction)"

What do the terms of use for the web site say? Did you have to register? Is there any clause that speaks to who "owns" and controls the posts on its web site? Do you really want to go through the whole hassle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back