Bed Bugs in NYC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elissa79

I live in a 3 bedroom duplex in NYC. Since Aug one of the bedrooms has been taken over with bed bugs. I have been paying full rent on the apt since problem began. Landlord has sent an exterminator over 4 times and is planning to send the same exterminator over again on Friday. I have stripped the room of clutter, washed all fabrics in the room and kept in sealed plastic bags. I have gotten mattress and box spring covers. I have thrown out a couch that was "living " in the bedroom. I have placed books and papers in clear plastic tubs and i vacuum over and over. I barley sleep in the room since every-time I do the bugs bite me. The room is unlivable.
I am wondering
Can I deduct 1/3 of the rent since the room is uninhabitable
I have over 500 ( so far) in bills relating to this problem can I deductt that from my current rent?
Can i ask the landlord to use one of the 2 companies NYC recommends to eradicate problem?
I also need to rent a room in the apt out since current roommate is leaving- what are the legal ramifications of doing this?
Does anyone know a good (not $500 an hour) lawyer in NYC that can assist us
Thanks

No, you cannot deduct 1/3rd of the rent since you believe the room is uninhabitable.

The issue of whether a tenant can withhold rent revolves around a landlord not addressing a repair issue. The fact that the landlord has sent an exterminator out four times since August and is sending them out again on Friday clearly shows that they are attempting to address this issue.

Is this your mattress? If so, have you thought of simply discarding it?

Gail

The exterminator and i have checked the mattress and he feels i can keep the mattress- sicne its covered. What about the bills i have had to pay regarding this issue- can I deduct those bills from my rent ( cleaning costs, dr. bills, etc) ?

Not without the risk of facing an eviction for failure to pay all of your rent.

Again, the issue that comes up with things like repairs/pest control is whether the landlord has ignored the complaints or addressed these. Five times out since August certainly indicates a responsiveness on the part of the landlord.

This is your mattress, correct (as opposed to the landlord providing this)?

Do you live in a duplex or apartment complex? If so, have the other units also been treated?

Gail

I live in a duplex apt- 2 bedrooms on first floor, one bedroom on basement level. there are 15 apts in the bldg and the landlord has not shared the problem with others in the bldg for fear the tenants will say yes and then he will have to spray all other apts.
can i at least deduct the cost for all the cleaning fro my rent?

And again, legally, no. Unless you wish to face the risk of an eviction for failure to pay all of your rent.

Look; if the landlord had never addressed this issue; if you complained about the bedbugs and they just blew you off, you would have some avenues to remedy the situation, including (after allowing the landlord an adequate amount of time to address your concerns) hiring an exterminator yourself and then deducting the cost of this from your rent.

This isn't the case. You complained, your landlord responded. At least five times.

Gail

Heat treatment is the best solution to get ride from the bed bugs because it is nonchemical and cost effective too. Moreover we shouldn't use the chemical treatment like bb spray because it could be dangerous. So always be careful, good luck!

universitymattressdirect.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back