guest rules

Status
Not open for further replies.

valma1

How often and for how many days I can have a guest in my one-bedroom apartment in a multifamily house in New York City? I know, that rules for apartment buildings are somewhat between 14 and 30 consecutive days. No real policy how often a guest can come back.

The landlord lives on a first floor and there are two rentals units on a second floor. There is no special rules in a lease.

Can a landlord raise my rent because I have this very close friend staying with me time to time for 3-7 days per month? Thanks.

Many leases specify who can live in the unit and when a "guest" becomes a "tenant", adding wear and tear to the rental unit. Some leases even include fees for such wear and tear if a guest stays longer than a specified amount of time.

If your lease has none of these provisions, the landlord cannot limit the number of days for your guest nor can they raise your rent because of this.

Be prepared for closer monitoring of the "noise" factor when your friend is present, especially with the landlord living in the multifamily housing unit.

Gail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back