Ask a Legal Question

Thanks

Need to get custody of my nephew

Jurisdiction / State: Virginia

I am not sure where to start. My nephew lives in Virginia with his mother, my sister. She is a convicted felon, HIV positive, and a drug addict. She left my nephew with a neighbor last week and said she would "be right back" and she didn't return. The next day, the neighbor called the police and DHS. My sister finally returned after threats that they would take her 4 year old away. My nephew is back with her. The father has never been in the picture.

My husband and I would like to give my nephew a proper home and we are able to do that emotionally and financially. However, we live in Iowa. We have told my sister that we would raise her son. However, we are highly skeptical that she will do this without being forced. I am not sure what the next step is. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. We are very concerned about my nephew's future.

2. Registered User Distinguished Scholar
    Thanks
    I am blown away that DHS did not take her child and put him into foster care. If you have personal knowledge of her drug use and any harm done to the child go file a complaint with DHS. Let them investigate (no one will know YOU filed it). If they intervene with a Deprivation Petition and take the child, you can petition the court for a temporary placement. If they terminate her rights at some point you will be first in line to adopt the child. Good luck. You don't need a lawyer to start this process. Just call DHS in her city.

Thanks
    Thanks. I did call DHS. I am not sure it helped. They took the info and said they would pass it on to a case worker.

We are flying her and my nephew to our home this weekend to see if that will help persuade her to do the right thing. We are not fighting for him because we want a child, we already have two. We are very concerned about his future.