Do I have to give gifts back?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bmc0521

I was engaged to a man and pregnant with his child. I lived in Upstate NY, and he lives 3 hours downstate. When the baby was born he came up here and stayed for 6 weeks. The relationship ended, I asked him to leave.

During the time he stayed with me, he didn't contribute to any of the household bills, living expenses or for care of the child.

I have since filed for custody/support for the baby. He has chosen not to see the baby since he left. We went to court and I was awarded temporary sole custody, when we were in court he decided he was going to file for full custody so we are going back to court.

He is allowed to visit the baby here. I offered my home for visitation since child is a newborn. He has arranged his first visit but has sent an email to me that he is requesting a list of things be returned.

Among the list includes any and all gifts that were given to me, the baby or to us a couple by his parents, family, his families friends, anything to do with his associaitions. Whether they are things that the baby has since outgrown or not.

Now, I have already gotten several things together to give back to him. I have no problem with some of his requests however, a lot of the things are things that this child uses and household items were given as gifts that me and my child use in our home.

His mother is extremely angry at me for ending this relationship, but has not bothered to communicate with me as to why I ended it. I have reached out to her to resolve any hard feelings and she won't have it.

Again, I can totally agree with some of the things they are requesting back, but I find it very petty to say any and all things that were given to us. Those are gifts and gifts that we use in our home. Not to mention the fact that during the time he stayed in my home he didn't contribute one single penny.

I am looking for some legal advice on if I have to give these things back and if I choose not to, what is her recourse. Can she take me to small claims court? I don't want to travel to her area to dispute such a ridiculous claim.
Do I have a leg to stand on if I tell them I'm not going to return all the gifts.

Thank you in advance for any and all responses and advice that is given.

Gift=YOUR PROPERTY Tell him to take a hike. Honestly don't take the shortness of the answer to be flippant. Gifts are final. He can't get them back. Give him what you want to give him and keep or dispose of the rest as you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back