Used Car Lemon Law or Sue Repair Shop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

niktionary

I bought a used car in Michigan in April 2007. I had a limited 30 day warranty. I registered the car in California of January 2009.

Summer of 2008, I took my car to a dealership out here for repairs for the car not starting. They had the car FIVE separate times. Three of those times, they charged me for expensive repairs (cumulative charges were around $1100). It still wasn't starting quite right after the last repair I did in August 2008 but I didn't want to keep paying for repairs and diagnostics when they weren't doing the job. It was working, albeit not great so I just cut my losses.

The car stopped starting again about a month ago. I took it back to the dealership thinking that maybe they would actually fix it. They charged me a diagnostic and told me nothing was wrong. I got it back. Today, it wouldn't start again. I had it towed to them yet again. They waived my diagnostic fee but are not going to do any repairs for free.

Can I take them to small claims court over this? Or is there a lemon law with the Michigan dealership that might apply. ANY advice would be EXTREMELY helpful and I would really appreciate it! Thank you!

The limited warranty is the key to this. What does it say? Lemon laws are strictly for NEW cars.

I will get the bill of sale and provide that info. I was actually mistaken earlier. The warranty from the dealership I bought the car from had it as a 90 day warranty. I've got the forms stored at my parents' house and I will find out what the warranty entailed and post that info. Is there anything in particular I should keep my eyes open for and post? Or would it be best for me to type the whole deal out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back