Roomate can he do that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

andreabloyd

i visit my boyfriends apartment three to four times a week, and spend the night once maybe twice a week. last week his landlord asked if i was "living there" he claimed that daily visits, not even overnight ones constitutes residency, and said that he would have to raise my boyfriends rent if that were the case. is that legal?

I doubt it. I'll refer this to GailinGA she is very good at rental questions.

That would depend on how many people are living in the apartment, as well as the square footage and number of bedrooms. If it is a "normal" sized apartment and he lives alone, then no, the landlord cannot do that.

If he has roommates, it gets a little more complicated. More information would be needed.

Part of quiet enjoyment of a residence is the ability to have visitors. Visitors can even stay overnight. Visitors can stay for a week. This landlord is being greedy and I'm almost certain that he can not count you as a live in if you just visit everyday and sleep over less than 50% of the time.

Does the lease cover the issue of guests? Because there is often a fine line between "guests" and "residents", many leases will go into detail on even the number of visits in a week that defines the difference between the two.

Gail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back