Please help me with a confused sister question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Concernedgirl

I'm 19 years old now. My younger sister and I were placed into a foster care like situation January '07. We were given to our 2nd cousins and my parents pay them weekly. This was done because My dad (who has never abused us) was addicted to crack cocaine, and we were forcibly removed. They somehow gained unchecked access to my fathers funds making it possible for them to send my sister away to a specialized camp all summer, and then to a boarding school this year without asking for any extra monetary allotments from my family.

The question I have is this: Since June 3rd of this year, I Have been unable to contact my sister in any fashion. My cousins have told me the boarding school she is in has a psychologist that will allow her to contact me when they deem it appropriate. I've never hurt my sister in anyway

My question is this: Is completely cutting me away from my sister in all ways legal? I'm actually growing really concerned, and honestly... I just miss her. Are there any actions I can take to get in touch with my sister. Not that I actually think that this has happened, but for all I know they could have done something to her and are just reeping the benefits from my family. I have no financial resources of my own, and I don't know if I would be allowed to use my families resources to hire a lawyer since I'm technically, due to this situation, an independent.

I'm desperate for answers, because the last email that I received from them told me I was being self-centered for trying to contact her... and things are just starting to sound off beat.

So you don't know where she is at all, or you do know where she is but are not permitted contact?

I suppose if nothing else you could make a missing person report... that will at least get you the answer of where she is.

How old is your sister?

She's sixteen. and I don't have any idea where she is. I thought about doing that... I didn't know if it was too extreme/excessive to put that against them. But in the end, she matters more to me.

Your sister is a minor and can be "placed" into certain facilities by the court. Many of these places have rules about contacting family members. Unfortunately, the rules are legal, and endorsed by the court.

Is she a PINS or JD?

If PINS is person in need of supervision, than no she is neither. The thing is the DHS has been completely removed from the picture. I'm not sure how this happened, but according to both my parents, and my cousins, the DHS is no longer involved and my cousins have complete and total authority of the matter... I feel like they are doing this out of spite for my part of the family.
Thank you guys for your help

It sounds to me that your cousins have temporary custody of your sister granted by the court. I don't know the law in Tn but here in GA you, as a sibling, have a right to visit your sister. I know you are 19 but if you can file a Motion to grant sibling visitation before the court it will likely be granted. In my opinion; I'm stretching a bit on this one but I'm pretty sure I'm right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back