Changing a doctor's note

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarahd

Is it illegal to change the dates written on a doctor's note?

There was no signature forgery, just changed the dates on a doctor's note from 6/29/09 to 6/30/09-7/2/09. Is this illegal? What kind of trouble can someone get in for doing this if they're caught?

I'm not sure if this was the right forum category to place this in, but I'm hoping someone can help me out. Thank you!

I'm assuming you changed the date for work purposes?

Interesting. . . no idea.

I would think the reason and what you did with it may have some ramification if it is legal or considered some kind of fraud, etc.

To make a long story (sort've) short...

I attend a $16000 tuition school. I've been there since March 09 and will hopefully graduate in January 10. At the end of this marking period, tomorrow, October 1st, I will have a 73% attendance grade. On June 29th, I went to the doctor and never got an excuse for school. I was out of school from the 29th to July 1st. My doctor is forcing me to make a brand new appointment in order to even POSSIBLY get a note for the previous absence. I have no health insurance and this poses a big problem, not only with the money, but I'll have to miss work in order to get to this new appointment. These excuses need to be into school by tomorrow. The doctor did write me an excuse that I have in hand for ONLY June 29th. Is it illegal to change the dates to extend to July 1st? What kind of trouble can I get in if I would do this and get caught? I wouldn't be forging his signature (the note they've written me is just a piece of computer paper, with no phone or fax number printed on it, just the doctor's office logo) and I'm in desperate need to get excused for the hours I missed so that I will have a 75% passing attendance grade by the end of the curriculum, tomorrow. Thanks for all your help in advance!

Unless you have no financial gain I doubt there is anything illegal. However if the fraud is found out you could lose your job and/or your schooling

Changing the date on someone else's note would make the content of the note fraudulent. How much trouble you get into depends on how you use it. Its NEVER ok to change a note from its original without the author of the note changing it.

I agree with jacksgal, you could lose your job, get in trouble at school, or land yourself in a contempt or fraud charge depending on who you try to fool with your altered note.

Last edited:
For your purposes stated here I don't think you would have a legal problem, however if the school found out then you could face disciplinary actions through them.

Changing the excuse is fraud. You don't have to profit monetarily to be illegal. The others are right that it probably would not be prosecuted but it is very wrong. Further, if you are found out your school will crucify you. You know this is wrong, that's why you are asking.

I can only see a crime in this if it was a prescription. A doctor's excuse note is not significant document that would rise to the level of a crime if altered.
While altering it is dishonest, it is not really criminally fraudulent.
Maybe there is something in the Business and Professions Code about this?

The penalty imposed by the school would be way worse than what the courts would do anyway. It isn't worth the risk.

Without this note, I'll be dropped from school anyways. I'm just not sure how to way out the pros and cons here =/

The pros are that you will not get dropped... the cons are that you will get tossed from the school and have trouble getting back in.
You will also have the guilty conscience knowing that you cheated. There is likely a better way by just talking to the right people.

Last edited:
I didn't hear any reference to being caught or being suspect of this action. Sounds like justifiable paranoia. Perhaps at this juncture, forget about it and don't duscuss it with anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back