"Unreasonable" Speed - 4 years ago?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Converse

I recently received a letter from Auburn City Court in Auburn, NY. The letter was sent to my parents house in Las Vegas, NV. My parents then sent it to my home in Syracuse, NY.

The letter reads:

RE: 99T1670 Fine Due Unreasonable Speed
Please be advised that you owe Auburn City Court a Past-Due Fine in the amount indicated below (Fine: 50.00 Surcharge: 0:00). This fine has been outstanding since 04 - 11 - 2000.

I remember this incident. I was coming up a hill when the driver in front of me suddenly stopped short in the center of an intersection and attempted to turn left. I applied the brakes but slid into his bumper anyway. The driver then decided to turn on his blinker light. I was not speeding, but when the officer arrived for the accident I was ticketed for Unreasonable Speed.

I called Auburn City Court to inquire about the letter. I informed the clerk who answered the phone about the situation and stated that every ticket that I had received I had paid. I further stated that there is no mention of this ticket on my DMV report, nor has my license been suspended because of it. She claims that the court had put the ticket into the DMV system but that it didn't go through properly. She said they were cleaning out their files recently and said that it still shows that I owe for this ticket.

I know for a fact that every traffic fine that was mailed to me has been paid. Auburn claims that they had mailed me previously for the fine. I asked the clerk to send me a copy of the original ticket and she said that she would.

Why doesn't DMV have record of this? Why wouldn't my license have already been suspended if Auburn did in fact mail me previously. Do I have any way to get this dismissed? Also how does the court prove unreasonable speed?

Old Speeding Ticket

This seems to be cropping up in a lot of places as the national database is being implemented. Courts are finding old records of speeding tickets with no indication that they have been paid. Since no one keeps records this long you are at their mercy.

Send the judge a certified letter with a motion that the ticket be entered as paid. Include a notarized statement that you paid the ticket. If this doesn't work and you cannot find a cancelled check then you will just have to pay it again in order to clear up your driving record and avoid a suspension.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back