NY Speeding ticket - error on ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.

acuragirl

Hello, I am new to this forum and have a question regarding a ticket I received. My first speeding ticket :( (going 68 in 55) with my first new car. I wanted to know if there is any New York State guides on how to dispute a defective speeding ticket. I was able to find a New York City guide for parking at http://www.nyc.gov/html/dof/pdf/99pdf/pvo_itslaw_00.pdf

I received the ticket on Sunrise Highway in Merrick (Nassau County), December 31st. The cop who pulled me over incorrectly filled out the model of the car as Audi. I was driving a Acura. Also, upon examining the ticket further I noticed he did not indicate the year of the license expiration. Is there anyway I can fight this. Would I need any type of back up to prove to the judge the ticket is incorrectly filled out?

Court date and officer appearance

Thanks for your respond.

The model of the name would be a minor mistake? :confused:

I never got a ticket but is it true the if the officer is present at the court he needs to describe what car I was driving and other information. Do you think if he indicates the wrong model I can still get out of it?.

Last edited:
yes this is a minor mistake. As long as he has the license plate number correct I doubt that any judge I know will dismiss the ticket for this mistake unless you would have compelling evidence that he must instead have gotten the license plate number wrong:

Example: Your license is ABC 123, a blue Audi. The officer actually saw a red Honda and wrote on the ticket: ABC 123, red Honda.

Now, you have a witness that you have been 120 miles away at the time of the ticketing. There is also a red Honda with the license plate ABC 133. Then you have a chance.

Few questions:

I just want to verify to and understand what you have indicated above.

1. If the officer during the trial indicates my car as an Audi and I was driving an Acura this can either decrease the ticket fee or make the ticket invalid?

2. If this is the case should I plea not guilty?

3. And after the officer states the incorrect model of the car, What do I tell the judge?

Thanks again for all your help, out there!!!!! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back