Ask a Legal Question

Thanks

How to take your name off a lease

Jurisdiction / State: Georgia

What would I need to do to get my name taken off a lease. I am currently not living there anymore and my ex boyfriend wants to continue to live there. I asked the landlord what to do and they said he would have to reapply for the apartment, but he will not do so. Any suggestions because he is trying to hold me accountable for the rent and we still have almost a year to go.

2. Moderator Distinguished Scholar

Thanks
    In order for your name to be taken off the lease (and thus terminate your financial responsibility), you , your ex-boyfriend and the landlord all have to agree to this. This is usually done by signing a form saying all agree to this change.

If not (and unless you have the option of finding someone to sublet..or take over your portion of the lease), you would continue to be responsible for your share of the rent until the lease expires.

Gail

Registered User Distinguished Scholar
    Thanks
    Unfortunately leases don't always expire when boyfriends do. It's one of the real problems with temporary relationships and fixed leases. Your boyfriend will have to pay the entire lease to the landlord if he wants to stay there, whether you pay him or not. He can sue you for your half if he wants to. After a few months he will be required to mitigate his damages by finding another roommate, but you are probably on the hook for a couple month's rent. Give him Certified return receipt notice that you have moved out and that you do not intend to return.

One more note: if he allows the apartment to at some point evict him, they will "evict" you too even if you are already gone. That judgment will follow you when you try to get another lease in your name.

Sorry for the bad news.....