Death by Absentia and Death Benefits from Employer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shea23231

My mother was employed by a prominent hospital in Richmond, Virginia for over 15 years and on November 1, 2001 she became a missing persons (police report filed, case still open and unsolved). A few days after the police report was filed we received a letter from her employer stating she was 'laid off' for repetitive no call no shows (from the date of the missing persons police report). As of Nov. 1, 2008 she was declared legally dead (death by absentia) by the court. Could we pursue the life insurance benefits and other benefits from the employer now that she is legally declared dead and the date or her absences coincide with the dates she was missing? Or is there nothing we can do?

I'm very sorry to hear this.

I doubt however, that any benefits still remain in effect, since she was terminated from employment in 2001. I've never heard of group life insurance, for example, that continued after termination of employment, except possibly for retirees.

The only other thing I could think of that might be possible is a pension that was payable to survivors. Can't hurt to call the Benefits Dept. and ask.

Again, I'm sorry for your loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back