Landlord made extra money off the property I was paying for

Status
Not open for further replies.

normah1978

I have an issue with my landlord. I moved in on 08/01/08 and was told that since the property was a horse property I would be entitled to the stables for the full rent amount of $2,500 he said unless you don't want it then I will reduce your rent to $2,300. Well when I signed the lease he said I would have to pay $2,500 which was the full rent meaning I could utilize the stables if I so desired. I let the people that had been using the stables to continue using them and pay me $100 for electric & water usage, I never charged them a dime I thought I was doing them a favor. They are nice people and I knew they would not take advantage of the situation. Come to find out that the whole time the Landlord had been charging them $1,100 per month in addition to the full $2,500 rent I paid him as well. Is this acceptable? I am very upset that he has collected several thousands of dollars when the money should have been deducted from my rent and/or paid directly to me. He was basically collecting $3,600 when I was supposed to rent the entire property for $2,500. I am know forced to move out because of the economical situation my hours have been cut drastically and I can no longer afford the rent that he reduced to $2,000 but yet he is still collecting $600 from the stables. His intentions are to keep my full deposit of $3,000 plus I am still in the hole with him for almost $6,000 in backed rent. Should he be able to keep my $3,000 deposit as well as keep the almost $9,000 he made on renting the stables when I was renting the whole property? Please help me figure out if I have any sort of case against him for double dipping on the property I rented.

Also my house was infested with the huge outdoor roaches since about April of this year and I complained to him and he told me the property would be fumigated which never happened. We are not dirty people and we don't even have the smaller roaches, but when we moved in there was some already in the home which they never did anything about either. My son would not sleep over at my house due to this situation. He would visit during the day and want to go home in the evenings, which was very sad for me and my daughters.

Thank you

You could, in theory, request that the landlord knock $2400 off what you owe the landlord (the difference between your rent for just the house versus rent for the house and stables). This would reduce what you owe in back rent.

California is very specific in what the security deposit can be used for; only listing four reasons. One of these reasons is for owed rent.

Gail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back