Used car bought, title stolen, seller unknown

Status
Not open for further replies.

desktop668

I recently bought a used truck from a private individual out of state (seller was in Pennsylvania, I live in Georgia.) It was a case of looking for a particular type of vehicle and finding it out of state at a ridiculously good price. I bought the vehicle and a friend of mine (lives here, had to go to Pennsylvania for business) picked it up and drove it back.
The problem is that my house was broken into and my box of important papers was stolen. It included birth certificates, tax papers, and car titles...including the truck's.
I don't recall the seller's name. I talked to her twice on the phone, we agreed on a price, and my friend filled out and gave her my cashier's check upon his inspection and delivery of truck and title.
The person that broke into my house got the spare keys to both my cars and ransacked them, cleaned them out. The car in my name was easy, everything was in my name. The truck isn't so easy. I have a truck in my driveway with NO paperwork to go with it. Is there any way to find the last owner or get a replacement title without that information?
thanks in advance - desk

I'm assuming you called the police after the break in? Call the detective who is handling the case (or sleeping on the case, whatever) and explain the situation to him or her. The vehicle should still be registered in the old owner's name, and they should be able to track that down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back