NJ Child Support guidelines

Status
Not open for further replies.

redgar

I've submitted a order for the courts to re-figure child support with the emancipation of my oldest daughter. I have one daughter under 18 that I will still be required to provide child support for.

My ex-wife had a lawyer propose a counter offer using the shared parenting worksheet (appendix D).

I'm confused because her lawyer's numbers make no sense.

The method I'm using to determine the value for line 9 is to look up our combined net income (line 5 combined) in Appendix F for one child. The number for one child then gets filled into line 9.

Her lawyer has put in a number in line 9 that would require our combined net income to be 700 higher than what the lawyer has for line 5?

Am I making a mistake? Or is her lawyer clueless? Am I missing something? I don't want to be wrong and end up costing my ex more in lawyer fees.

(I had links to the Appendix IX-D and Appendix IX-F, but I'm a newbie and this site wouldn't allow links. If you google "NJ child support guidelines" its the first find)

I believe all states use Gross Income

It wouldn't be calculated by net income. The state will use gross income and calculate before deductions. Hope that helps you.

No, they use net pay.

The directions for line 9 state on page 33:
Look-up the Basic Child Support Amount from the Appendix IX-F award schedule.
Select the appropriate amount for the number of children for whom support is being
determined and the Line 5 combined net income of the parents. Enter the Basic Child
Support Amount on Line 9.

No, they use net pay.

The directions for line 9 state on page 33:

Look-up the Basic Child Support Amount from the Appendix IX-F award schedule. Select the appropriate amount for the number of children for whom support is being determined and the Line 5 combined net income of the parents. Enter the Basic Child Support Amount on Line 9.

I think her lawyer just plain old made a mistake. My ex is paying all of this money to her lawyer over a small reduction in child support.

The answer

In answer to my original question, it turns out that there is language hidden in the NJ rules that states that for older children the NJ child support guidelines may be increased by 14.6% (5:6A paragraph 17, page 21 of appendix A).

My ex's lawyer applied this increase to her proposal.

However the rule states that it should only be applied for new child support orders and not used as an adjustment as the child gets older. Since I've been paying child support for my daughter for awhile, my ex's lawyer has agreed that this doesn't apply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back