Can my landlord make me pay for water damages?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fluffernutter

I had a recent situation where there was water damage in the house that i rent. I was wondering if my landlord has the right to make me pay for all the water damages (around $5,000) whether or not it was my fault? I'm not exactly sure if I'm 100% responsible, but I was seeing if the landlord can even make me pay for this because it was not done on purpose.

She is trying to not go through insurance (assuming she can make me pay for all of it so her premium does not go up). Is right of her? This was not a negligent act, so I do not know if I am fully responsible for all the damges.

Please let me know if you need additional information.

Thanks.

I had a recent situation where there was water damage in the house that i rent. I was wondering if my landlord has the right to make me pay for all the water damages (around $5,000) whether or not it was my fault? I'm not exactly sure if I'm 100% responsible, but I was seeing if the landlord can even make me pay for this because it was not done on purpose.

She is trying to not go through insurance (assuming she can make me pay for all of it so her premium does not go up). Is right of her? This was not a negligent act, so I do not know if I am fully responsible for all the damges.

Please let me know if you need additional information.

Thanks.

What state are you in? How did the water damage happen?

And really...How do you expect to get any kind of accurate advice without that information? :confused:

I'm, sorry. I thought I had filled in the state section. But I'm in Washington.

Well, she "says" it's because I had flushed wipes down which caused it. But it's been over 3 weeks and I have yet to see the plumber's report. And supposedly the plumbing company was her son's company. Every time I ask her for the plumber's name and number, she refuses to give it to me. So, I think this is all a little sketchy.

Certainly, I shouldn't pay anything thing unless I see a complete report? But then also, her pipes might've not been maintained, so I should seek more evidence on her past services? Help!

Yes you should not pay anything until you see the original plumbers bill. Then you might consult another Plumber with same repairs and check their cost

So even though it ends up being my fault, should I be still responsible to pay? Even though I did not do it negligently? The wipes might have caused it, but I was not aware of it. How do I not know the plumbers won't write up a bogus report since she knows them? Since the plumbing is all fixed, I cannot call another one to come and see what exactly caused it.

Who flushed the wipes down the toilet in the first place, supposedly causing this damage?

Gail

I flush wipes, not knowing it clogs up pipes up here. It was not a negligent act. But this "cause" has only been hearsay until I actually see the report. Nothing actually came up the toilet, somehow the clog made the leak come out from the laundry upstairs. However, isn't it illegal to write up a bogus report? So I should not be fearing this?

If, after you receive this report, you disagree with the amount of damages (and I'm assuming these damages include issues from the actual flooding), then don't pay for this.

The landlord will then need to decide if they wish to sue you for this amount.

They would need to present all the evidence in court and a judge will then decide who is responsible.

Gail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back