Lost out on job because of physician's assistant

Status
Not open for further replies.

JASFidler

My husband and I have been in the application process to become house parents at a private school for several months now. We had an overnight stay at the school, participated in several interviews, did background checks, etc. A private investigator was to come out next week to 'investigate' our home - the final chapter in this never-ending saga.

Yesterday, my husband and I went for our physical at Worknet Occupational Health. My husband has had multiple hernia surgeries in the past; I had surgery on July 28. We were told ahead of time that we had to do a 50-lb. lift test. We were told we had to lift a 50-lb. item from the floor to a table. We were each cleared by our surgeons to do so. HOWEVER, when it came time for the lift test (husband and I were separated), the doctor expressed concern over my taking the test because he said it was "extensive" and required "repetitive" lifting. I got upset (crying) and asked where my husband was and if I could speak with him, because this was NOT what we believed the test would be. He said yes and came with me to find him.

I expressed my concerns to my husband, who decided to do the test anyway. Afterward, he came to tell me it was simple, and not to worry, but the surgeon told me he still didn't feel comfortable with me taking it until I came back to get my TB test checked 2 days later, with my surgeon knowing the extent of the test. OK, fine.

Long story short, we got a call today from the HR director at the school we applied at. The hiring manager decided to stop the entire hiring process because the physician's assistant called and said we were "angry" and disrespectful, and that was not a quality they wanted at their school.

This is completely INSANE! When we left that office, everything was fine. We were laughing with the staff and everyone was very cordial. Now I'm out a potential job because of what one guy said?

Am I entitled to take any action??

Thanks,
Julie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back