unknown child

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjung

I was recently served papers for child support and a dna test from the county for a child I didn't know existed, we had slept together twice, once unprotected. quit dating because I found out she was into drugs. the child is now 18 months old. which fits the time frame I was with her.
apparently the child is with her grandma, because the mother is in prison for I believe selling drugs. I'm assuming the grandmother is recieving assistance and thats why the county is trying to find the father. I met someone I plan to marry and we just had a child and a stable enviroment, and I earn a good living. the following questions are assuming the child is mine.
my questions:#1 With the mother in prison, what rights do I have as a father over the grandmother or mother for custody, since I've never even met the child (although I would have from day 1 had I known)
#2 can they order child support for I child I never knew about?
#3 since I've never met the child can I sign off all parental rights?
I'm blind sided by all this, I feel if I am ordered to pay child support I want to know my child before she gets any older so she knows her father, and I do not want a child of mine brought up in a household that uses drugs,
thank you for your help. please advise me of mmy options.
also if the child is mine do I need seek an attorney if I move forward with any of these issues. thx again

1) Right now you will have probably no chance at custody but you are entitled to visitation. Down the road once you are acquainted with the child you can always try for custody. Parents generally have more rights than grandparents in most cases.
2) Yep they most certainly can, this happens all the time. You created the child, you have to help support it since mom was on government assistance
3) no, you cannot terminate parental rights. Why should tax payers support the child instead of you? The courts will not allow this unless the child is being adopted out with another man wanting to take responsibility.

You should see an attorney and try to get some sort of visitation with the child. It will likely be supervised at first.

I don't have a problem with supporting the child, I think its totally unfair I didn't know I had a child, wasn't given the chance to know the child from birth, until they want money than they bring me into it! I'm not one of those deadbeat dads.
I would have supported that child from day 1 financially, lovingly. I just think its wrong the way I've been treated! its not fair to me or the child! does anyone think of the child more than just financially? how's my first couple visits with her? she'll be scared to be with her own father!!!!

This happens all the time. There is no time limit for a mother to establish paternity and file for child support. There should be but there is not. She could have waited 10 years if she wanted but since she wanted tax payers to pay for the child, the government forces her to file child support, which is why you found out about the child now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back