obtaining title to car help

Status
Not open for further replies.

xsputx

i was looking for a parts car online to get a few parts for a car project ive been working on for a while now and i found a really good deal on a car

I asked the guy if he had the title he said he did not that it was for parts only... so i assumed that it was wrecked, had been toatled out or something

he said it was not stolen and it was his and he had had it for 10 years now and that the deal with the title was between him and his x

so i ask do you mind if i bring a bill of sale for you to sign he said no thats fine

so i went and looked at the car to my surprise it was running and in better condition than mine..

i go the car home as i was not concerned with the title since it was only a car to pull parts off of and i had the bill of sale to protect me in case he was lying about it being his.

I ran a carfax on the vehicle and saw that the last lein on it was from suntrust so i am going to call them to make sure the title is free and clear from them..

i decided it would be better if i could title the car than use it for parts but i needed more info from the seller but now i cant seem to get in touch with im..

I know how people are crazy these days over privacy acts and the vehicle history report didnt give me much to go on besides the title numbers, and the history of the vehicle excluding anyones names..

but i guess what im asking is how hard is it going to be to obtain a title?..

i mean if i find out there is a lean and can work out something with the bank if i have a bill of sale will they turn the title over to me directly or will they require more proof?...

if the title is clear can i get a abandon title for it? if it helps the title of the car seems to be based out of florida...

Your best bet is to simply go to the county tax collectors office (they handle car registrations in most if not all counties in Florida.) They will be able to tell you if they show a lein on the car, or if it shows if there has been a lein released. They would also be able to tell you if the car was rightfully his or not.

If all is as advertised, then they would be able to simply issue a new title, which they would do anyway once you purchase it. In this case it would be a lost title. I'm not sure how hard it would be since you are having trouble getting ahold of the guy, as there may be a form to fill out that he has to fill in. But just explalin all of this to them, and they can tell you what you need to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back