Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Wrongly accused of Shoplifting

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhatsHappening

Now my twin sister and I just turned 18 in March. We are both going to Study abroad in 2 weeks so i need this handled. Thank you in advance for your input.

We were shopping one day and she set off the alarm. She had in her hands her ipod and a pair of unpaid small sunglasses. Knowing her, i believe that she was just absentminded and not paying attention it happens. They took us in the back and searched everything. But to make things worse she had in her purse a shirt (she purchased there a week ago). She had it in there because she was wearing a thin shirt and bought it just in case she felt too uncomfortable; and she doesn't keep her reciepts.

They banned her from the store and "kindly" suggested that I do the same. when we were walking out the store she was still setting off the alarm (it was obvious that it was the metal clips on the bandages on her arm that were actually doing it).

they let her go without calling the police because they "understood" the misunderstanding. She did get hit with a civil penality (which she paid without challenging because she just wants to get rid of this mess so close to college starting).

However i'm worried that she'll be called to court ....is that possible that she'll get a notice to appear even though the store didn't call the cops and she paid the civil penality?

I'm so worried. especially since our parents don't know, they already have so much financial problems (even more no that we're in college) and we didn't want to burden then with this.

Why isn't your sister posting this question? Maybe she's not that worried about it.

So, don't worry about it.

She's asking around like to public defenders, so please don't judge. I can understand where your coming from though. But Is it more likely that the store will charge criminally if it was a large chain store (out of greed for more restitution) or less likely (because they don't want to be bothered with it)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back