Clarification of TOS Facebook

Status
Not open for further replies.

mistofelees

I post my photography on a site that have recently added share link buttons to Facebook/Digg/Reddit/Twitter. My question is about the share link TOS (below) on Facebook. Specifically No. 2. And the definitions that they use, also copied below.

"Special Provisions Applicable to Share Links

If you include our Share Link button on your website, the following additional terms apply to you:

1. We give you permission to use Facebook's Share Link button so that users can post links or content from your website on Facebook.

2. You give us permission to use such links and content on Facebook.

3. You will not place a Share Link button on any page containing content that would violate this Statement if posted on Facebook."

"Definitions

1. By "Facebook" we mean the features and services we make available, including through (a) our website at facebook. com and any other Facebook branded or co-branded websites (including sub-domains, international versions, and mobile versions); (b) our Platform; and (c) other media, devices or networks now existing or later developed.

2. By "us," "we" and "our" we mean Facebook, Inc. and/or its affiliates.

3. By "Platform" we mean a set of APIs and services that enable applications, developers, operators or services to retrieve data from Facebook and provide data to us relating to Facebook users.

4. By "content" we mean the content and information you post on Facebook, including information about you and the actions you take.

5. By "post" we mean post on Facebook or otherwise make available to us.

6. By "use" we mean use, copy, publicly perform or display, distribute, modify, translate, and create derivative works of."

My question is, the share link button is situated on every page that I have a piece of artwork. If pressed by anyone (member/non member of the site that hosts my work) it creates a thumbnail - of the specific piece - link on that persons facebook page. Although the thumbnail isn't hosted on facebook, do facebook gain a license to use my work, situated on the host site (and not just for the sole purpose of display) as per the terms above?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

What are you worried about? That the users can get an unlimited license to use that thumbnail even if you take your content down? If so, my understanding is that you have the right to remove your content and the license is limited in purpose. I haven't looked but you should. It would make sense that it works this way.

Hi there,

Thanks for the reply.

My main concern is with Facebooks TOS regarding the share links. What I am trying to find out is whether or not Facebook can/will claim a license to use the work that is linked to facebook i.e the content of the page that is linked using the share buttons? (not just the thumbnail image).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back