What rights does a child have when it comes to going to court for a custody battle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashley1894

My jurisdiction is: Maryland

My father and mother has joint custody over me and my brother. But, my father insists that I live with him and things stay the way they are because of a promise he made. I want to live with my mother, despite this promise. I live with my dad on the weekdays and I live with my mom on the weekends, but I would rather switch things around. In their agreement, it says they can change things on a verbal agreement but my father does not want to do this. He also says that if things are taken to court, the judge will not ask me or my brother if we want to live with our father or mother. Is that true? What rights do I have as a child in court? I'm fifteen years old, almost sixteen in January.

The judge may not ask you anything. It'll probably be lawyers. But legally, the leverage isn't existent, I think it's just an impact statement to help the judge decide on what is the best way to do this. I'm not positive though

Don't open old threads. ...........................

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back