Bank Gave Away My Money!

Status
Not open for further replies.

collegekidd

My roommate and I both moved out of our apartment at the end of February. We did not part on good terms. Our apartment's management company sent her a check for the amount of $260, the money left over from our security deposit (originally $500..she pitched in $250 & I did also). The check was authorized to her mother (the co-signer), my roommate, and me. Although i was assured she would not be able to deposit it without my authorization (signature or being present at the time the check is being deposited), she deposited the check anyway! She took it to CHASE bank and with ONLY HER signature (her mom and I didn't sign it) the teller gave her the money.

Is there any legal action i can take against CHASE bank? I obtained a copy of the check and she really did only sign her name on the back. I called CHASE and they told me they would never under ANY circumstances deposit a check with any missing signatures from any of the parties involved. What can i do in a situation like this? My roommate won't give me the money and the bank is not helpful!

I'm extremely outraged by their incompetence and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I'd print a copy of the check, walk into a branch and speak to someone. You might want to let them know that, not only would you be suing them, but you also plan on taking other action, which may include sharing your bad experience with the bank's failure to act on it's own policies. The bank's remedy is removing the amount of the check from the depositor's account. I'm not sure what the follow up will be (especially if the depositor doesn't have a Chase account) but this is probably the easiest way to get resolution of the matter. You can always sue your ex-roomate at the same time in small claims court, both the roomate and the bank. You should also demand your costs as well from the roomate. I would. Best of luck with this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back