own property but have no rights according to some Florida Statue ????

Status
Not open for further replies.

lifesnotfair

I live on a 10 acres lot parcel (in Bay County, Florida) which was divided into 3 different lots. This lot is consider a family law because in one parcel my father in law lives in, the other parcel my wife and me lives, and other parcel my father in law other daughter lives.

This lot was quit claim deeded to everyone the following way:
- the lot where my father in law lives is on his name and his wife
- the lot where I live is on my name, my wife, and my father in law
- the lot where my father in law other daughter lives is on her name, and also my name and my wife's name

There were certain rules set when we all originally moved here that everyone has to followed so everyone can live and get along with no problem. Unfortunally that has not been the case. Recently things have gotten worst and this is the situation.

One of the main rules that were set is that no one was allowed to burn anything in the property. The day before yesterday my sister in law husband decided to start burning even though he was told not to. When I saw him burning with a metal barrel that he got to burn thing in I asked him what he was burning and reminded him that there was no burning in this property. He told me "Don't worry about it". Completely don't respect me and does whatever he wants. I told my father in law about it and he said that he will talk to him the next day because he was told no burning and that he has to followed rules.
The next day when he got home I told him that there was no more burning and that he had it to get rid of the barrel that he used to burn things. He told me "You don't own the world and you can't make me do anything. I am not getting rid of the barrel and will continue burning". Then I reminded him that my name was on the deed on the piece of land that he lives on and I can tell him to leave, so he can start looking for another place to live. Then he told me that he wasn't going anywhere and I can't do anything and had no power and such" I told him that he can look for a new place to live. Then he told me "Get out of my face or I will break your face apart".

Being that this is direct threat I called the local sheriff office and requested to have an officer dispatch to my house to see what can be done regarding this matter. When the officer arrived and explained of the situation I was told that due to some Florida Statue Law, which didn't know about, I couldn't have him moved and he can have me trespass from my own property for the simple fact because he resides there. Also the house where he lives is not on his name but on my father in law name. In summary were told that not even my father in law that owns the house can step foot on the property or into the house and will be considered trespassing. Because they have established residence there on that lot and house even though my name sits on the warranty deed for the piece of land and is his house legally can't remove them or tell them/control what they can do. If they feel like burning every day and do anything in general can't control it and just have to deal and live with it.

I don't see how this is possible and fair since I always thought that being the property owner, can't be trespass and have control of what someone does at the property that legally owns.

I told the officer that it wasn't fair because being this the case as he explained that gave them right to do whatever they want and keep living rent free since they don't pay rent to live there. He said that it wasn't a local police rule/law but a general law in Florida that again I never heard of it and that it worked this way, if have known about this the arrangement of living all together in the same piece of land would have never happened.

At this time can't live with the things they do and letting them do whatever they want to because it is not right and affects me and my family a great deal. I am sure there has to be another way or something to deal with this. I was only told by the officer that the only way that can evict them is to my father in law, since he is the legal owner of the house where they reside, to file eviction notice in the courts and let the system take their time and steps to evict them. That as you know can take not only time but lots of money.

Even that doing that in the mean time stuck with dealing and being force to tolerate what they do and such. As said before I don't think this is right and have to be another way to deal with this and have a way that being a property owner on that land have some saying and control. I have been looking on the Florida Statutes for this law that was told about but haven't been able to find anything about it.

I appreciate in you taking the time to look into this important and urgent matter and provide me with any assistance you can offer me.

Thanks for taking the time in reading this and looking into this.
I will be looking forward in hearing from you soon. Thanks a lot.

The problem is you each have a quit claim deed to your respective lots, so, no You don't own that property, they do. You gave up your rights to it with that deed.

due to some Florida Statue Law, which didn't know about, I couldn't have him moved and he can have me trespass from my own property for the simple fact because he resides there

What law? Ask the officer for a citation. But really, from your perspective, it doesn't really matter whether you can find it - what matters is if your brother-in-law can find it and rely on it against you.
If they feel like burning every day and do anything in general can't control it and just have to deal and live with it.

The fact that you might be liable for trespassing on property he resides on has little, if anything, to do with the question of whether he is entitled to burn stuff on the property. If there is an agreement in place, the owners of that property own it subject to the agreement. If he wants to reside there, he can do so subject to whatever rules the owners want to impose. Sounds to me like you, your sister in law, and your wife need to decide whether you want to enforce this agreement.

There was never no written agreement on.
He was advice by the officer who came when I call about this law and how it works which he was told that there is nothing I can do and they can do whatever they want because they claim residency no matter what regardless of not having any type of sign agreement.

Doesn't matter whether the agreement between the owners is written or not; if you all agree no fires, you all agree. Now do something about it.

The officer does not make the law, he enforces the law. I repeat my above advice: ask the officer to cite this alleged law allowing the resident to do whatever he likes.

I think the problem is on both the sides. You better consult with a legal lawyer to move further. There is an site about the real estate business it is for the purpose of training the people how to start a real estate business and what are the steps. And the rules about the real estate and their legal rules too. If anyone interested please visit this site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back