Is there a Statute of Limitations for Connection for Personal Property Back Taxes Due

Status
Not open for further replies.

cateysblue

I was just contacted by a collection agency regarding overdue State CT. Property Taxes from 1994 for my automobile. I moved out of that state almost 10 years ago and sent my CT plates back to the State. This collection agency says that the State was unable to locate me. That's nonsense! I filed a State tax return for that year and my new address was on that form. I'm also listed in the telephone book. This collection agency says this was turned over to them 2 years ago. I asked them what took them so long to locate me and they didn't have any real answer. My question is, obviously, do I still owe CT these back taxes for my car or not? If so, how can I dispute this as this claim is so old and there was no obvious effort made on the part of the DMV in CT to locate me? Any advice would be gratefully appreciated.

My understanding is that there is a 10 year statute of limitations unless the IRS obtains a renewal on their lien or judgment. That would be from the lien date, from my understanding, not the year of taxes. So if the taxes were due on 3/1/95 and they obtained a judgment on 4/1/96, a 10 year clock starts running on the later date. You need to find the date of the lien and see whether a decade has passed. If it has then you'll need to send a letter (or through your attorney) to have the lien removed.

cateysblue said:
I was just contacted by a collection agency regarding overdue State CT. Property Taxes from 1994 for my automobile. I moved out of that state almost 10 years ago and sent my CT plates back to the State. This collection agency says that the State was unable to locate me. That's nonsense! I filed a State tax return for that year and my new address was on that form. I'm also listed in the telephone book. This collection agency says this was turned over to them 2 years ago. I asked them what took them so long to locate me and they didn't have any real answer. My question is, obviously, do I still owe CT these back taxes for my car or not? If so, how can I dispute this as this claim is so old and there was no obvious effort made on the part of the DMV in CT to locate me? Any advice would be gratefully appreciated.

Same problem Motor vehicle taxes

A collection agency sent me a letter claiming that i have unpaid motor vehicle taxes thru 1991 till 1995.. i left the state in 95 and moved to nj. F

Conn Motor Vehicle Taxes

I Am Having The Same Problem...is There A Statute Of Limitations On Conn Motor Vehicle Taxes Which Was Not Paid From 91-95..now 10 Years Later, (dec 2004) Residing In A Different State, A Collection Agency Sends My Mom A Letter Of Unpaid Taxes. For Some Unkown Reason, She Never Knew About Theses Taxes And Worst Of All, She Never Was Contacted About Delinquent Automobile Taxes..what Do You Think I Should Do And If So, Is She Obligated To Pay These Taxes?

CT Property Tax Scam

I just received a call from my Mother in Upstate New York saying that a CT based collection agency is after $1000 for the same type of problem. My family and I moved from Watertown, CT eight years ago to Manila, Philippines as part of a job relocation. We owned no property in CT, and the automobile under question was sold and re-registered in the State of New York just after we left the United States in late March 1997. The automobile and my family never saw CT again since our departure. We have ample proof showing our move, and our change of residency to Manila. Moreover, we have the car's 1997 CT to NY transfer registration (my brother in law bought the car and has the records).

The Watertown CT tax agency is saying to us that 1) it doesn't matter if we did not receive notice of the problem (despite us filing US Federal taxes from our Manila address since 1997) 2) that the fact that the car was bought, re-registered and used in Rochester NY and not grounded in CT is not relevant. 3)that despite us having proof that we were not residents of CT from 1997 to date does not matter as well

They also have told us that it's the old CT license plate from the car that dictates whether we owe the money to the township. I have no idea whether the old CT plates were returned to CT DMV.

My understanding of the CT tax law is that in order to be liable for any tax in the State of CT you must reside or make your residence in CT order for the state of CT to have tax jurisdiction. Furthermore, as I understand the CT property tax law (summary at this web site: http://www.cga.ct.gov/2004/ba/2004HB-05475-R000560-BA.htm)
the car under question must be based or grounded in CT for it to be considered taxable property. After our move in 1997 neither criteria is met. The car never saw CT again and we stilll live in Manila!

Does anyone in this thread or on this forum have any updates on their experiences? Or has anyone talked to a knowledgeable tax attorney on this matter. It sounds to me to be a complete scam by the local townships.

Richard Gross

15 Years

<http://www.cga.ct.gov/2005/pub/Chap204.htm>

Sec. 12-164. Tax uncollectible after fifteen years. Interest on improvement liens. (a) No payment of taxes shall be enforced by any collector or other proper officer against any person, persons or corporation against which they are respectively levied except within fifteen years after the due date of the tax. The provisions of this section shall be retroactive. The fifteen-year limitation shall not apply to improvement liens except those which have been released of record prior to July 18, 1945. Collectors shall compute interest on improvement liens for a period of not more than fifteen years, and at a rate, after July 18, 1945, and retroactively, not exceeding twelve per cent per annum, any provision of any special act to the contrary notwithstanding. The term "improvement lien" as used herein includes municipal liens for repairs and services.

same problem, but in state

My problem is pretty much the same, but I'm still living in CT. Been registering cars for years, of course. Sent in money for my truck reg, MVD cashed my check, no tax problem. Realized problem with truck wasn't worth fixing, but it still had to go through emissions for reg to be complete. Got another car. Wanted to transfer plates. Got to MVD, they inform me I owe taxes in a town I hadn't lived in for 15 years. This town had just posted these taxes on Sept 9, 2005 from 1991. Spoke with the town, they wouldn't budge, they are NOT my taxes! Said they have been posting to MVD over the years. I inform them otherwise. If they had, I would have found out about it alot sooner than this! MVD wouldn't give me temp plates because of these "new taxes", but said they could not legally withhold the transfer of plates if I got the new car through emissions. So I had to have it TOWED to emissions, go back to MVD, where they finally gave me my registration. But I have to fix this 15 year tax problem before April when the registration is up or I won't be able to renew registration. Seems as though someone in that town "messed" up royally, and now wants me to pay these supposed taxes plus interest to the tune of almost $1,000. I will be writing the MVD Commissioner, Governor and my Representative for starters. I'm on SSDI, and don't have 1,000 even if I thought I owed it. So either the town screwed up or MVD.

reporter query

Hi,
My name is Avi Salzman and I'm a contract writer for the New York Times. It turns out that I'm writing about the issue of old car taxes in Connecticut this week (1/10/06) and would like to talk to any of the above posters who have had issues with back taxes on their automobiles.
Please e-mail me at avisalzman@hotmail.com.
Thanks,
Avi Salzman

Me Too!

I got an automated call from a Collection Agency (CCA) on Good Friday. The call said to call and refer to a number re: a personal issue. In 1997 We sold our home and moved to an apartment in Ohio from Stamford, CT. My husband, who had everything in my name, took care of the sale and - I was told - payment of all taxes and liens due. There was very little left over. Now they are claiming I owe taxes on a 1982 Mercedes diesel from 1994, 95, 96 and 97. The amount due is over $1,600, mostly interest and "charges". The actual tax is a bit over $500. I left a forwarding address and am listed in the telephone book so why have they not tried to contact me before? My husband died in '99 so I can't ask him about this and I do not have checks that old! I cannot prove that these taxes were paid but the City certainly did not show any diligence in persuing this case. What can I do? I have tried to call the City but when I navigate their "menu" to the proper person I am told to leave message at the tone...then I am told there is no more space and I cannot leave a message, after which they hang up. Six long distance calls so far. I guess this is how they take care of business.

Has anyone had any success fighting this?

I received a notice a few weeks ago for taxes due on an old honda accord I've long since sold. I move to NY in early '97, and they are asking for taxes for this auto from 10/96 through 8/97. I think I returned my plates, but I'm not sure, and since it's ten years later, I don't know that I can find out now. I have not received one notice from CT on this until just now, though. We moved to New Rochelle, NY, just outside of CT. We've been in NY since, we've always forwarded our mail, always been listed in the phone book...as far as I'm concerned CT made no effort whatsoever to collect on this until just now, ten years later, just prior to the statute of limitations kicking into effect, and at a time when it's at the maximum cost to me. The principal tax due it $283 and they want $838 for interest and charges. I'd even pay the principal right now, but it seems I should not have to pay the interest and charges. Had I known of these charges I would have paid up. I have excellent credit and pay my bills.

I talked to someone at CT DMC (they answer now, the first week I also received no answer and then the voicemail box full message). They claim they don't ever have to tell us we owe. Why they are doing this now vs. years earlier I assume is to maximize the charges and interest. They won't take anything less than the full amount--will not settle at all.

Has anyone had any success fighting this? I see others on this board with the same issue, but no one with a resolution.

More of the same

I have also recieved letters from "National Recovery Group" claiming I owe the state of CT money (from 1993). I have responded as nicely as I can muster but 13 years? What's even better is that I have a copy of an affidavit that my wife at the time and I had to fill out to protest owing 1992 taxes for the same car that was registered in WA state! My guess is that the state of CT needs money (and what state doesn't?), is poor at recordkeeping and farms this out to a third party who gets a % of everything they coerce people into paying. I don't owe this money and I think it is abhorrent that any governmental agency would stoop to this kind of behavior. I may never be able to go to connecticut again but I won't pay money I don't owe. I hope everyone with this problem gets it resolved in their favor! I'll post again if I learn anything. Good Luck!

meriden must need money real bad

i am being told by the city of meriden that i owe back taxes for 1991, 1992, and 1993 on two cars. but here's the clincher, i never owned either of these cars.

i called the mvd yesterday and spoke to a man named steve, he checked the license plate numbers and the vin numbers on both cars that the city sent me. nothing. the records do show cars that i actually did have registered to me, but nothing on the two cars in question.

steve at mvd told me to call the city and ask them what the date of birth was on these two cars. well, it was not my date of birth, and i told the lady this. she said it didn't matter.

what's up with the state of connecticut and the towns that is doing this to people? do the cities need money that bad!!

i really don't know what to do, i need my car registered.

National Recovery Group is after me too

Hi, I've started receiving aggressive letters from National Recovery Group (George Dodd) about back taxes 1994-1997 for a Saab. I haven't lived in Connecticut since June 1993 so I'm pretty sure I don't owe any taxes for subsequent years.

Has anyone had any success in getting these people to go away? Also, the letters are full of fire and brimstone but couched with "may" persue and "might" take legal action, etc, which makes me think they are bluffing. For those of you who've ignored the letters, was there any subsequent action from CT state itself?

My understanding (http://www.ct.gov/ag/cwp/view.asp?A=1770&Q=281342) is that the collection agencies do the job of sending emails, but do not have authority to take legal action - that goes back to CT. Surely that itself should cut down on some of the more egregious cases?

Thanks for any feedback, John

Hi

I've also been receiving letters from American National Recovery Group for about 6 - 8 months now. They want taxes that they claim I owe on two vehicles from 7/01/99 through 7/01/01.

I haven't lived in CT since March of 1999, and I sent them proof of that, but they want more proof. Unfortunately I haven't had the documentation they want (registration of the vehicles) for about 6 years now.

The client of American National Recovery Group is listed as "Town of Westport". I was out of Westport for a year before I left for Florida. Does Westport collect taxes for CT in general, or are they assuming that I was a Westport resident during that time?

Thanks.

dlund

I also received letters from National Recovery Group (Geroge Dodd) about back taxes from town of Willington, CT for period 1999-2000. I moved out of CT in may of 1998 and moved to NJ. The funny part is that the car in question (97 Kia) was totalled in 1999 in NJ. I even had the adjustor from the insurance company call and fax directly to the collection agency to prove that there was no way anyone would register a totalled car. If the car was gone in 1999, why would anyone register the car? It just does not make sense and as many prior posts have said, I have always forwarded my addresses whenever I moved. As someone else had mentioned previosly, the CT township did NOT make any effort to collect this.

My "Amount Due" for 1 year worth of back taxes are $535.84 (mostly fees & heavy interest). Even after they received the official fax from the insurance showing that my 97 Kia was totalled in Oct. 99, they said it was not good enough. Now, they have sent me another letter saying that I have to show them proof of residency through motor vehicle registrations which I do not have. It has been 8-9 years and who would still have such documents.

My next move was going to be faxing them copies of my income tax returns for 1998, 1999, 2000, which all have addresses of NJ and NOT CT. However, from reading some of the posts here, it will never end. They will keep denying my proof saying that it is not good enough.

I would greatly appreciate any sort of feedback.

Steve.

I also have been contacted by American National Recovery Group (ANRG) for back taxes owed to the town of Groton. I am active duty military with my official state of residency as Florida and have not lived in CT since Nov 2001. I responded to ANRG over a year ago. Has anyone here had any success with dealing with these people.

George Dodd - Class Action Suit Anyone?

I am having the same problem with George on taxes 10+ years old. Please let me know how you made out. George is attempting to collect invalid debt in addition to some debt which may actually be valid.

However, requesting payment for inaccurate debt is illegal. If anyone is willing to join in on a class action suit, please let me know. My situation is specific to New Milford, CT. Believe it or not, the town is more in fault than the collection agency in this case.

I am so glad I moved out of this state. They never contact you to pay the bill and then they send a collection agency after you once the interest and "fees" pile up. Let's join forces to take them down. All it takes is a little money and a lot of time. I've got both, so contact me if you are interested.

I am in the same situation. The RMV of the state that I moved to was able to provide me with proof that I registered the car in their state several years ago. I haven't heard back from George Dodd yet. I'll let you know how I make out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back