Consumer Law, Warranties Deposit Not Returned

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmtrust

storage would not return deposit.

i filed sm claim for return.

storage replied on form that my "deposit" was actually new account fee non-refundable.

i told the magistrate i didnt read the contract but i spoke with the clerk and she told me the extra $60 was for a deposit and gave me a receipt saying deposit.

at trial, she said she tired to give me the deposit back but could not locate me.

when i told the magistrate she hadnt called once, she changed her story to say i had over stayed 8 days so she applied the $60 to the following month.

i objected to the new defenses and asked the court to not accept it.

i submitted they had never mentioned i had over stayed before so how could they be trusted for the truth.

i showed a receipt to another storage for the 19th which was enough time for me to move by the 31st.

they showed no proof i had remained at their storage for 8 days into the next month.

i had the receipt and explained why would anyone stay after paying another storage?

judge dismissed without prejudice bcz i did not read the contract.

judge never asked them why they originally claimed fee was for new account non-refundable.

how outrageous is that decision?

i can appeal but i planned to move far away and now i am out $150.

there isnt any court transcript bcz no recording.

what money damages can i ask for in appeal?

can i ask for traveling fees, rent?

You can ask for your deposit back in the appeal.

You are incredibly unlikely to get travelling fees or rent in a small claims case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back