Landlord demands new lease, Raising rent +$250/mo effective 1st of month! ONLY me

Status
Not open for further replies.

SarahModel13

Landlord claims I'm in violation of lease, which I agree, I am. He is demanding a new lease and is raising MY monthly rent +$250 effective 1st of month. Not raising rents across the board.

I have lived here for over 5 years without a problem. Building was recently sold. At the lease signing (Feb 09), I asked him about roommates. The new owner sat down, looked me in the eye and said. "I don't care who or how many people live in your apartment, I just need their names for safety and security reasons".

Of course the lease doesn't say that at all. Mea culpa--I trusted the liar; didn't read the paperwork. Stupid, yes, I know. Don't beat me up over that.

A few days ago I gave him name of two new roommates. Now he claims I'm in violation of the lease (which I clearly am, based on the written agreement).

There are a total of 3 people, including me in a large 2 bedroom-2 full bath suite. He claims that since I am in violation of the lease, ("unapproved roommates" - I need to sign a new lease and my rent is going up by $250 a month effective July 1st.

This apartment can easily accommodate 4 adults. We are only 3. Can he selectively raise my rent without raising every rent in the building? What options do I have? I don't want to move until the lease expires Feb 10 or be evicted but I don't want to pay an extra $3000 a year, either.

Incidentally, when he took over, he claims that an existing $950 security deposit had been given back to the family of my former roommate, deceased. Another lie.

What are my options, please?

What does your current lease say about adding roommates?

It sounds as if the landlord agreed to allowing you to have roommates if he could approve them (i.e., do a security and criminal check on them). Without these checks, he has no guarantee that they won't do things like skip out on the rent.

Now that you have them, he is concerned about the extra wear and tear on the rental unit...and thus the extra rent.

Signing a new lease in July would mean the old one is no longer in effect. The extra rent would cover the new roommates. And no, there is nothing limiting him from raising your rent and not doing the same to other tenants in the building as it would appear the main reason for the rent increase is because of the extra folks who will be living there.

I suspect that if you do not agree to going along with the new lease and the new amount of rent, he may push for evicting you based on you violating your current lease.

Which way would be easiest and less stressful for you?

Gail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back