eviction and cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

rphagoo

I am in the process of evicting a tenant ( holdover procedings) he stopped paying rent... I know i have to continue to supply electric and water...but do i have to supply cable? Thank you in advance...Robin.

Utilities typically involve those items which are necessary for the safety and health of the tenant....electricity, water and heat.

Lots of folks manage to survive without cable and remain safe and healthy in the rental unit. Cable tends to fall in the category of phone service; nice but not necessary.

Gail

Thanks Gail !!...I pay the cable and there is no lease. I did verbally tell him when he moved in i will supply the cable..nothing is in writing ..My main concern is if i cut the cable,mainly due to the fact that he watches tv with his surround till 2am,will the judge view me as a slum lord?

So that would bad on my part when i go see the judge ? even though he is not living up to his end of the agreement ,by not paying me rent?

It might be...depending on the judge and the state that you live in.

My state (Georgia) is a pretty landlord friendly state. A judge would likely fall off the chair laughing if a tenant who hadn't paid rent complained a landlord was a "slum landlord" because they had shut off the cable.

Other states (California, New Jersey and New York come to mind) tend to be very tenant friendly and the response might be very different.

Gail

Thanks again Gail...unfortunately i am in New York ...So all in all...i should just grin an bear the noise ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back