Can my ex sue me for a car that wasnt washed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

malmeda

My ex leased a vehicle for me about a year ago and we broke up a few months ago. The lease, registration, and insurance was under his name. I initially had the insurance in my name for 3 months because he was shopping around for rates and we switched it to his name. Anyhow, we broke up a few months ago and he agreed to keep the car in his name as long as I made the payment. Mind you I have made all the payments and he signed for it and paid the downpayment. A month ago (5 MTHS after the break up) he sent me a certified letter stating that I need to either turn the car over to him or get the lease put in my name. I asked him to give me 30 days to be able to get things sorted out and he replied no because I had a long time to "sort stuff" out giving me 13 days to figure things out. On the 11th day I called him to ask him to give me a little more time and no answer so on the 12th day I told him that I was trying to get a hold of him so that I can return his car and he replied with no. He then replied that if I didn't give him the car in the condition it was given he would take me to small claims court and I told him that that was the reason I needed more time so I can have the minor scratches painted. I mean it's the right thing to do and because I said that he agreed to give me 15 more days. Now, I just got the car painted and I planned to wash and detail the car but the paint company says that I can't wash the car for 7 days and I now only have 4 days top return to him. I didn't have the money to get the car painted right away so I got it done 4 days before it needed to be returned. Can he take me to small claims for the inside of the car? There wasn't any tears or damages just your normal dust, and dirt from shoes getting in and out of the car. overall all just your normal wear. He told me that since I was in posession on the vehicle I was to give the car back to him in the condition it was given. It was brand new when he leased the vehicle how am I suposed to get it back to brand new status? Can he take me to small claims court for this?

Why don't you simply run a vacuum around the inside of the car to get the dirt out?

Anyone can file a lawsuit. The trick is winning one. A car that has been used for one year is not going to look like one that is brand new.

Gail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back