When does the 30 day notice take affect

Status
Not open for further replies.

rolm

My jurisdiction is: Virginia

I'm a landlord who has rented his house to 4 individuals. I do not have a lease signed, thus we are on a month to month lease. I gave a 30 day notice on the 20th of the month. Does the 30 day period expire (in Virginia) on the 20th of the next month or does the 30 day period expire at the end of the next month?

Also, I gave the tenant three notices. One delivered (as per her instructions) under her room door. One via first class mail and one via certified mail.

She refused to accept the certified delivery. She has not opened her 1st class mail delivery notice (its sitting on the counter in the house) and she refuses to give me an acknowledgement letter that she has received the notice. Although she has as we had a phone conversation about it.

Will the judge accept this notice to be sufficient? Or do I need to give another notice and have it served by the sheriff?

Please advice.

dates on the letter

Thanks for the link. It helped. It states that the month-to-month tenancy can be terminated by giving a 30 notice atleast 30 days before the next rent due date. However, the letter that I served her stated that she has 30 days from now (delivered on the 21st of last month) to vacae the property.

The exact text of the notice was:
Date: May 20, 2009

Subject: Notice to vacate property

This is to formally inform you that you have 30 days, starting today, to vacate the property at ...."

So bsed on Virginia law, she actually has 30 days from June 1 to June 30 ?

Also, is the notice still VALID since it stated that "you have 30 days from May 20 to vacate the property".

Will the judge accept this notice if I initiate the eviction process AFTER June 30 (complying with the 30 day advance notice regulation)?

Or am I better of sending her another notice? The problem with that is that it will now give her an additional month of staying in the house without paying rent. 30 day advance means that she doesn't need to leave until July 30.

Am I better off serving her a pay or quit notice?

I know she won't pay. Is this faster for me?

She is ruining my property with extensive damage.

Last edited:
Again; is the reason for you terminating her lease because she has failed to pay rent?

If so, begin the "Pay or Quit" business now (it can be started five days after the rent is owed):

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1014716/virginia_eviction_laws.html?cat=17

Remember that as frustrating as this is, it all takes time to serve a tenant, give them a chance to remedy the situation (i.e., owed rent), file through the court system, have the tenant served, get a hearing notice scheduled if they contest the filing, etc. etc. etc..

Best to begin this process as soon as possible.

Gail

I have a month-to-month lease. I don't need to give her a reason to quit. There are lots of reasons. She is distroying the property. She does not contribute to the house hold chores (its a shared home), she us uncooperative. She wants to live for free essesntially...and lots of other issues with her.

I want the quickest way to get her out. Is it through the Pay or Quit or just wait and file for eviction after the end of her 30 day notice period?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back