international divorce forms/procedures

Status
Not open for further replies.

confusedkitten

My jurisdiction is: Ohio, USA

I need to know how to go about filing for an international divorce.
I live in Ohio and my husband lives in England. We've been separated since September 2006, and I've lived in Ohio for a year now.
The divorce will be uncontested, there is no animosity and we both just want it done and over with.
Neither of us wants financial support from the other. There are no children, property, or assets involved.
It seems like it would be so simple, but I can't find any information. I've consulted a few lawyers, but they have wanted $1000-2000 retainers, and I simply cannot afford that much!
Is there any way I can find the forms online, or type them up myself? Do I have to go thru a lawyer, or can I file for myself?
Any help and information would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for the quick reply! The only problem I foresee is that my Husband will not be able to attend any court hearings that might arise...

I believe you can still do a divorce by agreement even if he can't appear - he can sign the papers in the UK and send them back to you. If that is not available, then you can get a default divorce. Agree on what the terms of the divorce are, file papers accordingly, serve him in the UK, and when he doesn't show, take your order.

I suggest you go to a local divorce lawyer for an initial consult anyways to verify this will work for you.

Hi again!
Well, I've finally found all the forms and have started the process. The reason I couldn't find what I wanted was because I was looking at dissolutions, where I should have been looking for uncontested divorces! I can't believe a stupid mistake like that set me back SO far!
Thanks for all your help and advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back