Consumer Law, Warranties Gym Contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

hampton1230

Hi,

I signed a 3 year contract for a gym membership. The contract that I signed stated the gym's name is Ladies Workout Express. I decided to join this gym because it would allow me to also visit all the other affiliate gyms whether near my home or near my job, which has a 10 mile difference. After attending the gym for about a year, I called up one of the affiliated gyms near my job and asked what I needed to do to work out there since my work hours changed and I was interested in going straight to the gym after work instead of sitting in traffic for an hour to get to the original gym I signed up at.

It turns out that the gym that I originally signed up at is no longer a part of the Ladies Workout Express corporate gyms. The owner brought out the 3 gyms that he used to own under Ladies Workout Express. They are still operating under the Ladies Workout Express name(sign) and my contract is a Ladies Workout Express contract. After speaking with the corporate office of Ladies Workout Express, they urged me to contact my Attorney General's office and file a complaint. They feel the contract should be made null and void since it seems to be under false pretenses.

So, I am now stuck at this gym that doesn't even meet my schedule constraints and I feel like I have been lied to because there are only two other gyms I can actually attend. I was lead to believe based on the Ladies Workout Express website that I could attend any affiliate gym. i was also told this by the guy who sat with me as I signed the contract. Uhhh, now I am stuck and still paying each month for a service that doesn't provide anything in return to me as the customer.

What legal recourse do I have with this situation?

Have you contacted your AG's office to file a complaint? What, if anything, did they say?

Without knowing the terms of the contract, it is impossible to say what the ramifications are. If it was a condition of the contract that you were to have access to the affiliated gyms, then the owner may have breached this term by dissociating from those gyms. In that case, it sounds to me like there is a pretty good chance the contract is voidable. Or, possibly, you were induced to enter into the contract by a negligent misrepresentation, and the contract is voidable on that basis.

Or, conceivably, you may have entered into some contractual arrangement not only with the gym but with the corporate office that entitles you to use the other gyms despite the fact your gym's owner dissociated from the other gyms. Perhaps you don't need to break the contract, because the contract is still good for you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back