Landlord broke lease

Status
Not open for further replies.

ttnan

Can a landlord break a lease and it still be legal?
Pa
Is a lease still legal if the landlord breaks it?
My nephew was renting with 4 of his friends.. they all had to pay a security deposit individually.. 2 of them broke the lease and the landlord kept that.
Now the landlord informed them that him and his wife were divorcing and that they needed them out so one of them could move in.. They sent a letter informing them to be out by the 5th. My nephew got most of his stuff out.. and cut the grass... He went back on the 5th to get some items in the basement and get out the trash and the locks were changed. (I would think you had up until midnight if they had to be out by the fifth correct?)
They contacted the gentleman that they have been dealing with and he said he didn't know what his wife was doing. Today they got a letter stating that they would not get their security deposit back because of damage and numerous cleanups like charging them for having to get the grass cut and removing trash from the basement. Now I find out that the owner of the house was the gentlemans mother.. and the name on the letter was the wife of the gentleman... Can anyone give me advice on how to approach this? If we even have a case?... The only contact number we have is the gentlemans. Also... it said on the lease that if it was broken then the lease is not legal anymore... It didn't state if YOU (the tenant) break it.. it just said if THIS LEASE IS BROKEN... Will that justify the landlord breaking it?
included in the letter stating they wouldn't get back their security deposit it was stated that the boys owed $1000.00 more to her (this wife... that was never in contact with them for anything including the signing of the lease)
Would they have a case if she was to pay to take them to court?
Changing the locks prior to 12:00 midnight on the 5th of May
Not having her name as a landlord on the lease?
Claiming damage when it was wear & tear? (we have photo's after they moved out) She was never there for the walk through before renting it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back