How to dispute recorded Tax Lien?

Status
Not open for further replies.

smrugg1964

Prior to my divorce in July 2005, and during the separation, my ex-wife received a tax liability notice for a vehicle we returned at the end of its lease period. She did not notify me of this liability until almost 2 years later when the State of California came knocking on her door (not literally). At that time I was already living in Florida for 2 years but she had gotten several previous notices, which she simply ignored. Upon receiving the information (almost 2 years later) I contacted the State Board of Equalization to ask for a waiver of penalties & interest if I paid the tax immediately. I got relief on the penalty but I had to pay the taxes and interest. Is there any way to dispute the recorded tax lien on record? It shows up on my credit report and may be there for up to 7 years.

I feel your pain, yet the tax lien is "fact". Though there are circumstances which were somewhat out of your control, it remains that the taxes were not paid and a lien was placed.

Equifax and the others allow you to dispute errors, yet this is not an error situation.
Make certain that the "late payment" negative comment on your credit report also indicates that the tax lien was paid in full and closed. This should help reduce the blemish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back