Cyberstalking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

g1984

My jurisdiction is: USA

I was in an online relationship with a person, and we broke things off for reasons I will not go into here... this person keeps contacting me even though I have blocked them from e-mail and messengers, etc... they keep coming up with ways to contact me... I am getting sick and tired of it, and I would like to ask about Cyberstalking... is this Cyberstalking? What are my Rights? What Could/Should I Do? I have made it abundantly clear to this person that I do not want them to contact me anymore, but they keep doing it. Thanks in Advance.

Is this person threatening you? Report this to the police and, if necessary, take out a restraining order if the conduct continues. If you can, report the conduct to the individual's ISP in order to get their access blocked. Sure they can go elsewhere but, after a while, this effort will get old and tired.

If you can, report the conduct to the individual's ISP in order to get their access blocked. Sure they can go elsewhere but, after a while, this effort will get old and tired.

Here lately where the person is contacting me has been a public chat that I am moderator of... with the O.K. of higher people who run this chat, I have been banning this person's ISP when they come in... but they keep returning. So I do not think this would work. Thanks for your advice tho.

As far as pursuing legal options, (report, restraining order, and the like), how would I go about doing this? Contact my local law enforcement or theirs?

Unless this person is threatening you with physical harm, I doubt the authorities will do anything. To begin, what is involved is complicated and, second, they deal with many more serious threats daily so there is usually a pecking order.... can't say it's always the case but has been from my experience.

unfortunately, the situation has escalated... I have seen this person in my town several times over the past few weeks... they have no ties to my town that I know of nor do they have no business here... and yet this person is here and seems to come to places I frequent. What should I do if I encounter this person again?

Go to the courthouse and find out about filing a restraining order against this person. You may also see about including the chat room as well, although I'm not sure that would be able to be done, but ask.

It's better to just get that out of the way before things escalate even more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back