Medical bill collections issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

toxicdon

My jurisdiction is: Florida

My wife had a procedure in May 2007. At the time, we paid the $500 copay. Several months later, the hospital refunded the $500. The hospital was late in sending the required forms to the insurance company and received no money from the insurance company. We received a copy of letter from the insurance company to the hospital telling them of the denial of payments, why the claim was denied, and that we were not responsible for any further payment for the procedure.

Here we are in May 2009, and we received a bill for $500 from the hospital for our portion of the bill. We paid our portion in good faith as stated above. The hospital returned the money to us. Are we now still required to pay this bill two years later? The hospital is calling several times a week and threatening to turn the matter over to collections.

If it were me, I'd write back a letter (sent certified mail) which includes the letter of denial of benefits and your explanation. I'd tell them that they have a great deal of nerve trying to collect against me due to their own office incompetence. They now have actual knowledge that this is not a valid debt and they had better not turn it over to collections. I doubt you'll hear about this again. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back