Consumer Fraud Student loan cosigner Fraud?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MsMich

I'm currently in college, and my dad has cosigned 2 student loans for me. I've been having some problems with my parents lately. When I said I was going to just move out, my parents answered with the "over my dead body".

The next day, I came home and my dad said he was looking over my student loan paperwork and that I forged his signature on it, and if I leave, he will press charges.

I rememeber going through all the paperwork with him, and knowing that he signed the papers. What I don't understand is if he actually believes his story, or is just trying to scare me. Either way, it's working.

So my question is, what is the protocol on this?

I'm not sure how they would be able to match the signatures, but I know mine changes everytime I write it, so I don't know if it isn't exact, if I really could be falsely accused?

Should I just say lets go to the police station now? Or should I call the loan company (Sallie Mae) and report it to their fraud division and see what they say?

I never even fanthomed anything like this would ever happen, and don't quite know why I'm even in this mess, but I could really use some help.

Thank you~

What do you mean, "what is the protocol"? If he wants to try charging you with fraud, he can go to the police.

You can be falsely accused regardless of what his signature looks like.

You don't really have a legal problem - not yet. What you ought to do depends on whether you think his threat is serious, and how you think you can best maintain a relationship with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back