slacker

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghost_town

I know this is a delicate question to be asking lawyers, but I am tied up with one who has been slacking on my case lately. I did sign a contract with him, so the question, is he entitled to any of the settlement if I go with another lawyer? What is he entitled to? How do I go about releasing him?

Struggling!

Your contract should state the terms and conditions of what his attorney lien would be if you get another lawyer. If you are on a contingency fee basis, they normally state if you hire a new attorney the former one is entitled to his costs and his hourly fee for the time he worked on your case. Usually, the new attorney and former attorney will work this out.

If your current attorney has already put a lot of work into your case, I would advise against hiring a new one. In the end, it may not be worth it. Are you REALLY sure he's slacking on your case? My advice would be to set up a meeting with him and have him go over your file with you. You are entitled to that.

you know how it goes, you're hoping for information that you know is not coming.
Thank you very much though, now my wife will know that I am not lying to her.

Its understandable. Communicate your concerns with the attorney and or firm. Also, a source of information is one of the attorneys paralegal. Attorneys are known not to talk much on the telephone and it may seem like they are slacking but they do have numerous cases and client who all want personal attention like your wife. Its common.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back